Re: vtk6 and vtk7

Am Dienstag, den 09.05.2017, 07:25 +0000 schrieb Nico Schlömer:
> Btw I'm on a stable connection. If you let me know what to do
> exactly, I'll be happy to open up a fresh vtk7 repo.

I've now created an empty  vtk7 repository on git.debian.org using the

  git/debian/science/setup-repository

script, the path is

  git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/vtk7.git/

You can clone this repo, and add the VTK 7 source code normally and
copy over the vtk6/debian directory, add them to git, and push.

Rolling back vtk6 could be a bit more difficult. You can try to re-base
  to the last commit Anton made, and then force-push the result.
A different approach would be to checkout Anton's last  commit as a new
branch vtk6 and then make this branch master. [1]

In both cases this probably means that we have to do a fresh clone to
get our local copies into a sane state.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30105210/git-overwrite-master-w
ith-branch

> > It failed to build from source when using the system-provided
> > packages (but I didn't save the error messages). Should I put that
> > in the changelog?
This should be okay for now. It would be even better to have a bug
report for each failure though :)

> After we have a first version of vtk7 in, we can work on
> readjusting it for the system packages perhaps.

That sounds reasonable. I think it would also be okay to already upload
what you did to experimental (after moving to the new git repo).

Best,
Gert