Re: science-optimisation (Was: About the sense of removing -march=native)

Le jeudi 09 février 2017 à 16:13 +0100, Michael Banck a écrit :

> I think I read the ATLAS README.Debian and found it a bit more
> convoluted than necessary; in particular, I think it creates binary
> packages with different names to ones in the official archive (sorry
> can't check at the moment as I am on crappy dialup)? Probably just
> bumping the binary package version like we do for backports or binNMUs
> would be enough.

Actually the package name remains the same as the official package, just
the version differs (a suffix is appended to the version number).

> A good start would be to both support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=custom for
> generic performance-oriented rebuidls and
> DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND=-march=native for for the -march=native thing.

I’m not sure to understand what a “generic performance-oriented rebuild”
is. By definition, a performance-oriented rebuild does not create a
generic binary, but a target-specific one.

However, I agree with you that using DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS rather than a
custom rule in debian/rules (as currently implemented) would be a nicer
technical solution. I’m going to open a bug against src:atlas to remind
myself to make that change for buster.

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer