Re: science-optimisation (Was: About the sense of removing -march=native)

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 04:13:15PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Probably just
> bumping the binary package version like we do for backports or binNMUs
> would be enough.

Definitely.

> A good start would be to both support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=custom for
> generic performance-oriented rebuidls and
> DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND=-march=native for for the -march=native thing.
>
> Then again, just testing whether it actually makes a difference for
> end-user applications would be useful as well.

I made a mental note to suggest a GSoC project for Debian Med to some
benchmarking between packages with and without manual optimisation.  If
another mentor from Debian Science this would be probably very helpful
and could stretch the project to Debian Science.