Re:

hi johannes,

On 27/10/16 23:22, Johannes Schauer wrote:
Hi,

I'm not subscribed to debian-science, so please CC me and I hope I didn't break
the thread when I manually set the In-Reply-To header.

Quoting Jonathon Love (30 Apr 2016)
i've been packaging the flatbuffers project, and i think it might be ready to
go (although, perhaps it should be submitted independent of debian-science).

i've pushed the work to:

     /git/debian-science/packages/flatbuffers.git
Thanks! Your packaging saved me lots of work when I wanted to test flatbuffers
on Debian. :)

the flatbuffers project contains many subprojects which should form separate
binary packages. my packaging so far produces:

  - libflatbuffers-dev

  - flatbuffers-compiler

  - libjs-flatbuffers

  - libflatbuffers-java
I was confused that there was no shared library but apparently that is intended
by upstream:

https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/issues/4008

but there's also subprojects for go, C#, python, PHP, etc. which i haven't
packaged.... and didn't really want to. hopefully that's ok.
Certainly.

i'm not completely sure i've done the right thing with the maven java builds.
the pom.xml has sections requiring the plugins:

  - maven-source-plugin (version 2.3)

  - maven-javadoc-plugin (version 2.9.1)

so i've added these to the dependencies in d/control

however, these (older) versions don't exist in debian, and only newer ones
(2.4, and 2.10.3). so i've patched pom.xml to use these newer versions, which
works. but of course, this will *only* build with these versions, so i've
fixed the dependency to require these versions.

from what i've read, maven requires you to specify a specific version, and
doesn't allow wildcards or >= $version ... so i can't see a way around this.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with java. You should contact the Debian Java
team debian-java@lists.debian.org about this issue.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use your package to successfully compile a
small hello-world demo of flatbuffers. I reported the problem here:

https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/issues/4071

Did you get flatbuffers from your package to work and if yes, how?

does gwvo's response to your issue solve it for you?

i'm not sure the version in the d-science repo is my most recent iteration (i did some more work on it), i'd have to look into it. there wasn't a lot of interest on d-science (understandably, because it's not really science-y) so i tried going through the RFS route. but then there was almost no interest there either :/

eventually i got a review, but it was about 2 months later, was only very general, and didn't instill me with confidence that i would actually be able to get a sponsor. so i gave up for the time being.

(so i've adopted ProtoBuf in my projects instead, but even with people falling over themselves to provide [trivial] patches to add python3 support to *that* package, that hasn't received any attention from the dd's)

so this has been a bit of a discouraging road.

but if you'd like to drive flatbuffers in debian forward, i'd be happy to help.

jonathon