Re: parmetis not in testing

Hi Sébastien,

> suitesparse version 4.5.1 (not yet uploaded to Debian) has the ability
> to link with METIS 5 (either using the embedded modified copy or using
> the unmodified metis package). And metis is free software (licensed
> under Apache License 2.0). So it seems that I could upload suitesparse
> 4.5.1 linked against metis, without license problems.
>
> On the other side, the suitesparse-metis package currently in Debian is
> linked against Parmetis, which is indeed non-free software. But it
> seems that Parmetis is not really needed, only metis.

I looked into suitesparse-metis and found the following:

The CHOLMOD-Lib includes metis.h (in CHOLMOD/Partition/cholmod_metis.c), if
NPARTITION is not defined. libparmetis-dev(3.1.1) includes metis.h along with
parmetis.h (The newer version of parmetis in unstable didn't include any metis
stuff anymore). But I really don't know, why suitesparse-metis depends on
parmetis and not on metis.

Thinking about that, removing suitsparse-metis seems to be the best options.
Especially when you link the newest version of suitesparse against metis.
A special metis-version of suitesparse wouldn't be needed then anymore.

Cheers
Wolfgang

--
Jabber: yagharek@jabber.de