Re: netcdf parallel

On 2016-01-14 14:45, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
On 14/01/2016 13:00, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
I'd prefer to keep the serial flavor unchanged wrt to upstream, and
only customize the mpi flavors (mpich & openmpi).
That would be good, at least in terms of least surprise for the user.

NetCDF does not do parallelism unless explicitly asked by  the caller,
so just dropping a parallel implementation
in place of a serial one will not provide any benefits to the user; the
cost of having two libraries co-installed
is negligible so I don't think there is any benefit in having the
'alternatives' approach we use in HDF5 packages.

In terms of -dev, we _should_ be able to get away with just
libnetcdf_mpi_dev, linking against
libhdf5-mpi-dev. I think we should just build one MPI flavour, -mpi in
the package name
and _MPI in the symbols, rather than libnetcdf-openmpi-* libnetcdf-mpich-*

We need to avoid combinatorial explosion.

You need to support both mpich & openmpi, because mpich is still the default MPI on s390x.

Supporting only openmpi is not an option.

Kind Regards,

Bas