Re: Status of dh-r and problems building r-cran-yaml

Hi Gordon,

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 05:08:00PM +0100, Gordon Ball wrote:

> >> Nothing from a quick look. I'll have a longer look tonight or tomorrow
> >> and see if I can spot anything.
> >

> The problem is that other files which are being removed in d/copyright
> Files-Excluded include local changes - both api.c and emitter.c, in
> addition to the changes you caught in yaml.h and yaml_private.h
>
> api.c includes a definition of yaml_emitter_set_indent_mapping_sequence
> emitter.c modifies yaml_emitter_emit_block_sequence_item
>
> It would be possible to disentangle this (remove these files, provide a
> new c file containing these functions, link with libyaml), but given
> they are patching the libyaml source linking against vanilla seems
> likely to cause ABI issues in future. I would consider reverting the
> DFSG version and just building all the included source files. Thoughts?

Thanks for the analysis.  So this might have changed in the latest
upstream version since the former packaging was removing those C files
at build time.  I admit that restoring the ABI after removing those code
copies is way more maintenance work than I'd be able (and willing) to
do.  So if nobody has a better idea it is probably the most sensible
thing to go with the full code copy.