Re: Debhelper for R packages

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 12:12:12PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> [...]
> | There is the same thing on the Bioconductor page: "Canonical url for
> | use in publications, etc., will always redirect to current release
> | version (or devel if package is not in release yet)."
>
> I wasn't clear here. I obviously have no issue with checks for the canonical
> URL which CRAN now mandates and checks for in uploads to CRAN; I fixed many
> of my (R upstream) packages already. So sure, that check is helpful.
>
> I was gently objecting to making dh-r a mandate.  It's a new tool, so let's
> give people a chance to try and use / improve it. Or not to if they prefer.
> It's better if this evolves naturally than per fiat.
>
> We may well all use it.  Time will tell.

I couldn't agree more.  I'm a cdbs fan, and some of my packages I maintain with
neither cdbs nor dh.  So I was _very_ happy to find out cdbs was the tool used
by many r-cran packages, when I started packaging r-cran stuff.  Don't get me
wrong: I am happy we now can use dh to build r-cran packages: more choice is
always welcome.  So: thanks a lot Gordon and Dylan for your work.  I however
won't immediately start converting my r-cran packages from cdbs to dh-r.

Bye,

Joost

--
Debian is essentially an eclectic anarchy. We do not practise the
tyranny of the masses around here.              --Andrew Suffield