Re: Sponsoring for new package inside debian-science

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 09:18:49AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I had a look into kido and ignition-msgs.  I removed some boilerplate in
> d/rules from ignition-msgs (please git pull) and noticed that pristine-tar
> branch is missing.  Please push all branches or create the missing branch.

Regarding kido:  If you call lintian with

   lintian -I -i kido_0.1.0+dfsg-1_amd64.changes

I think the following issues are possible to fix before sponsoring:

I: kido source: duplicate-long-description libkido-dev libkido0.1 libkido-planning-dev libkido-planning0.1 libkido-utils-dev libkido-utils0.1 libkido-gui-dev libkido-gui0.1 libkido-gui-osg-dev libkido-gui-osg0.1 libkido-optimizer-nlopt-dev libkido-optimizer-nlopt0.1 libkido-optimizer-ipopt-dev libkido-optimizer-ipopt0.1
N:
N:    The listed binary packages all share the same extended description. Some
N:    additional information in the extended description explaining what is in
N:    each package and how it differs from the other packages is useful,
N:    particularly for users who aren't familiar with Debian's package naming
N:    conventions.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
N:    Check: control-file, Type: source
N:
I: kido source: vcs-field-uses-insecure-uri vcs-git git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-science/packages/kido.git
N:
N:    The Vcs-* field uses an unencrypted transport protocol for the URI. It
N:    is recommended to use a secure transport such as HTTPS for anonymous
N:    read-only access.
N:
N:    Note that you can often just exchange e.g. git:// with https:// for
N:    repositories. Though, in some cases (bzr's "lp:" or CVS's pserver) it
N:    might not be possible to use an alternative url and still have a working
N:    (anonymous read-only) repository.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
N:    Check: fields, Type: binary, udeb, source
N:
I: kido source: wildcard-matches-nothing-in-dep5-copyright kido/tools/cpplint.py (paragraph at line 45)
N:
N:    The wildcard that was specified matches no file in the source tree. This
N:    either indicates that you should fix the wildcard so that it matches the
N:    intended file or that you can remove the wildcard. Notice that in
N:    contrast to shell globs, the "*" (star or asterisk) matches slashes and
N:    leading dots.
N:
N:    Refer to
N:    https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/ for
N:    details.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: source-copyright, Type: source
N:
I: kido source: wildcard-matches-nothing-in-dep5-copyright kido/utils/ParserSkel.cpp (paragraph at line 49)
I: kido source: unused-file-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph at line 45
N:
N:    The Files paragraph in debian/copyright is superfluous as it is never
N:    used to match any files. You should be able to safely remove it.
N:
N:    Refer to
N:    https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/ for
N:    details.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: source-copyright, Type: source
N:
I: kido source: unused-file-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph at line 49
I: libkido-planning0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-planning.so.0.1.0
N:
N:    This package provides an ELF binary that lacks the "bindnow" linker
N:    flag.
N:
N:    This is needed (together with "relro") to make the "Global Offset Table"
N:    (GOT) fully read-only. The bindnow feature trades startup time for
N:    improved security. Please consider enabling this feature or consider
N:    overriding the tag (possibly with a comment about why).
N:
N:    If you use dpkg-buildflags, you may have to add hardening=+bindnow or
N:    hardening=+all to DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS.
N:
N:    The relevant compiler flags are set in LDFLAGS.
N:
N:    Refer to https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
N:    Check: binaries, Type: binary, udeb
N:
I: libkido-optimizer-nlopt0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-optimizer-nlopt.so.0.1.0
I: libkido-utils0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-utils.so.0.1.0
I: libkido0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido.so.0.1.0
I: libkido-gui-osg0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-gui-osg.so.0.1.0
I: libkido-optimizer-ipopt0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-optimizer-ipopt.so.0.1.0
I: libkido-gui0.1: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/libkido-gui.so.0.1.0

Voluntarily you could fix spelling issues and forward to upstream:

I: libkido-utils0.1: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/libkido-utils.so.0.1.0 Recieved Received
N:
N:    Lintian found a spelling error in the given binary. Lintian has a list
N:    of common misspellings that it looks for. It does not have a dictionary
N:    like a spelling checker does.
N:
N:    If the string containing the spelling error is translated with the help
N:    of gettext or a similar tool, please fix the error in the translations
N:    as well as the English text to avoid making the translations fuzzy. With
N:    gettext, for example, this means you should also fix the spelling
N:    mistake in the corresponding msgids in the *.po files.
N:
N:    You can often find the word in the source code by running:
N:
N:     grep -rw <word> <source-tree>
N:
N:    This tag may produce false positives for words that contain non-ASCII
N:    characters due to limitations in strings.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: wild-guess
N:
N:    Check: binaries, Type: binary, udeb
N:
I: libkido-utils0.1: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/libkido-utils.so.0.1.0 Faild Failed
I: libkido0.1: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/libkido.so.0.1.0 funciton function
I: libkido-gui0.1: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/libkido-gui.so.0.1.0 occured occurred

Thanks for your work on the package