Re: R package CI test failures

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 01:38:54PM +1000, Jonathon Love wrote:
> hi andreas,
>
> i've pushed fixes to:
>
>  - r-cran-bms

Did you really push?

r-cran-bms(master) $ git log
commit 4de85fa06d10e6aa3181b63efd35e70239fff861
Author: Jonathon Love <jon@thon.cc>
Date:   Sat Dec 19 14:48:39 2015 +1100

    Updated changelog for new upstream

>  - r-cran-contfrac

Uploaded.

>  - r-cran-hypergeo (new upstream actually)

Uploaded.

> thanks for pointing these out.

+1

> i do receive a `hardening-no-bindnow` on r-cran-contfrac, but i can't figure
> out how to add arguments to the linker from the R Makevars file (i think it
> is necessary to patch Makevars).
>
> the following doesn't work:
>
>     PKG_LDFLAGS += -Wl,z,now
>
> this does work:
>
>     PKG_LIBS += -Wl,z,now
>
> but i assume is a hack. i can't find any documentation on how to customize
> LDFLAGS in Makevars

I also never found a clue how to fix this in R packages - and I admit I
have always trouble fixing anything to tweak a cdbs based build.  I
would really love to see the package build system for R packages moved
to debhelper.  We could have lots of advantages but somebody needs to do
the work.

> any tips?

Besides porting the build system to debhelper, no, unfortunately not.