Re: packaging RProtoBuf: permissions only patches?

On 21 April 2016 at 21:06, Jonathon Love wrote:
| yeah, i'm more than happy to just rely on the package loading test, but
| this seemed like a good opportunity to expand my understanding of what's
| going on.

You risk mixing/confusing two concepts.  At the most basic level:

- every R package installs everything below inst/ as is; ie inst/sometests/
  becomes sometests/ in the R package directory

- R packages only ever touch the filetree below their directory in the first
  directory in .libPaths (typically /usr/lib/R/site-library for normal
  packages but /usr/lib/R/library/ for the core and recommended packages)

- Debian does its things with dh_* et al.

Don't confuse the latter with the former.  Conversely, if you want to get to
/usr/share/doc/r-cran-somepackage/ you cannot rely on R mechanisms per point
2 above.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org