Re: Numba for Debian Science

On 04/03/16 07:27, Daniel Stender wrote:
Hi,

I've also packaged Numba [1, 2] for Debian Science [3] (group member).

  Numba compiles native machine code instructions from Python programs at
  runtime using the LLVM compiler infrastructure. It could be easily employed
  by decorating individual computation intensive functions in the Python code.
  Numba could significantly speed up the performance of computations, and
  optionally supports compilation to run on GPU processors through Nvidia's
  CUDA platform.
  It integrates well with the Python scientific software stack, and
  especially recognizes Numpy arrays.

It's going into Experimental at first, where llvmlite currently is (it's written on the top of
that). It needs some more finetuning, and the testsuite needs a fix for a subprocess import
error, but runs all right (please see the examples in the doc package).

Like Theano, I think it would belong into the Numerical Computation task, it's also
build on the top of Numpy.

Thanks,
DS

[1] http://numba.pydata.org/

[2] https://bugs.debian.org/743877 (ITP: numba -- NumPy-aware optimizing compiler for Python)

[3] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/numba.git (not yet populated)

Congrats for your work on Theano and Numba, Daniel.

Ghis