Re: openmpi + c++11

Hi Nico,

OpenMPI looks quite a beast to maintain due to the sheer number of patches. Updating the source package to the latest upstream version is unlikely to be a walk in the park as a result.

I believe your best bet would be to kickstart this effort, ask the list when you're stuck, and hope the maintainers eventually join you on-board. I could personally find some time to help on a few things, but would definitely not be able / willing to do this alone. That's probably the case for other people too.

Cheers,
Ghis

On 29/10/15 16:45, Nico Schlömer wrote:
 > Have you think to contact to the maintainers?

Well, I filed a bug report a while ago on the upgrade issue. Not sure
how else to contact anyone?

Cheers,
Nico

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
<leo@alaxarxa.net <mailto:leo@alaxarxa.net>> wrote:

    El Dimecres, 28 d'octubre de 2015, a les 16:42:06, Nico Schlömer va
    escriure:
     > Hi everyone,
     >
     > the OpenMPI in Debian is somewhat outdated; the current stable
    version is
     > 1.10.1 [1], Debian ships 1.6.5 [2]. A bug has been filed for this
    a while
     > ago [3].
     >
     > When compiling a C++11-enabled source, one gets loads of compiler
    warnings
     > of the kind
     > ```
     > /usr/lib/openmpi/include/mpi_portable_platform.h:374:34: warning:
    invalid
     > suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and
    string macro
     > [-Wliteral-suffix]

    _STRINGIFY(__GNUC__)"."_STRINGIFY(__GNUC_MINOR__)"."_STRINGIFY(__GNUC_PATCHL
     > EVEL__) ^
     > /usr/lib/openmpi/include/mpi_portable_platform.h:374:63: warning:
    invalid
     > suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and
    string macro
     > [-Wliteral-suffix]

    _STRINGIFY(__GNUC__)"."_STRINGIFY(__GNUC_MINOR__)"."_STRINGIFY(__GNUC_PATCHL
     > EVEL__) ^
     > ```
     > It would be easy to turn them off, but perhaps even easier would
    be to
     > patch the current openmpi 1.6.5 to include the spaces.
     >
     > Who would need to be contacted about this?

    Have you think to contact to the maintainers?

    Cheers,

    Leopold

    Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
    Catalonia
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.