Re: Chemical drawing program

If I can dig in, bkchem is good, however refused by editors (in my experience) because it does not output to any (let me say commercial) format. gchempaint has a lot of problems: try to draw curved lines for single-electron transfer (a problem for bkchem too). So a GNU drawing package that overcomes such problems would be most welcome and urgent for the GNU Linux chemical/biochemical community. Editors request chemdraw, any time I have to answer that i can only withdraw my accepted manuscript with non-chemdraw drawings, then the editor takes the task of reproducing the sketches in chemdraw format, but last time he  said 'for the last time"

francesco

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:55:01AM +0200, Wasserthal wrote:
> I have written a new chemical drawing program which is intended to
> have uttermost compatibility to the cambridgesoft formats.
> It is also optimized in regard to running speed, opening large
> files, and a small program footprint.

Nice!

> I created a working debian directory in it and adapted it to a recent
> version of debian
>
> As I am no registered debian contributor and never contributed a
> whole project before, I must ask you to add it to your archive or
> tell me if there are problems with this project.

The Debichem project has packaged a few drawing programs already, see

http://blends.debian.org/debichem/tasks/view-edit-2d

Some of them are quite old/unmaintained or not very user-friendly, so
having a really good one would be welcome.  I think bkchem is probably
the best we have for now, but its author has abondened it.

We either maintain the debian/ directory on its own in subversion (see
e.g. http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/bkchem/ ) or the
whole project in git, then usually with a different packaging branch
which contains the debian/ directory I think.

If you want to maintain lhendraw for Debian as part of the Debichem
project, you should (i) create a (guest-) account on alioth
(https://alioth.debian.org) and (ii) request membership in the Debichem
project (https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debichem/ - there should be
a button for this in the lower right)

> It can be found at www.github.com/Wasserthal/lhendraw

There's been quite some activity recently which is great!

However, there is not much documentation there. Are the screenshots from
http://www.nefkom.net/wasserthal/lhendraw.html still current?  How easy
is it to use for end-users?

I won't have much time over the weekend but I will try to review your
packaging next week.

Cheers,

Michael