Re: Sage/SIngular: static vs dynamic

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello Forum,
>
> I am currently packaging Singular (the real target being Sage); I am finalizing.
> Note that I am not familiar with this particular CAS.
>
> I have just realised that the Singular CLI is built static (by default):
> I am very surprised because I expected a (regular) dynamic built.
>
> Does anyone know the reasons for building a static version rather than a dynamic
> version of the Singular CLI ?
> May Debian provide both ?

Dynamic linking is preferred in Debian packaging.  For example if
there is a security update to one of the libraries, then your package
automatically links the new version when using dynamic linking.

Also, I think lintian will warn you if you try to ship statically
linked binaries.

Best wishes,
Mike