Re: Opinions: Debian for (bio)process engineering?

Hi Bernelle,

thanks for your interest in Debian Science.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 02:07:41PM +0200, Bernelle Verster wrote:
> I'm a proper noob, new even to coding in general, and, very very new
> to Debian. (So if I make a mistake/follow poor etiquette, please
> educate me)

As per etiquette everything is fine. :-)

> I'm currently checking out the debi-chem, Debian science project and
> debian-med places, in anticipation of going to DebConf15!

It would be good to meet at DebConf15 to clarify things.  I will
organise a Debian Science and a Debian Med BoF (no date is fixed yet,
however)

> I am a bioprocess engineer, and looking to get into better process
> control and analysis for bioprocesses, specifically wastewater
> treatment (with some mods there), and fungal processes (aka solid
> substrate fermentation), and these blends don't really have what I'm
> looking for. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for yet either, but
> data-acquisition is a start [1]
>
> I have seen the engineering packages on debi-science [2]. I am not
> sure if these as a rough grouping are the sort of engineering I'm
> doing, or more 'IT' engineering - opinions on joining this or not?
>
> My question is, is there some process engineering stuff out there I
> can join? And if not, how do I go about starting something?

The current tasks (dataacquisition and engineering are so called "tasks"
in the Blends terminology) of Debian Science are crafted by those people
(in most cases only one or two people working actively on it) to fit
their needs.  It also depends from the availability of software packages
inside Debian what can be assembled in the task in question.  So may
be you need to package something first and assemble it later in a
dedicated bioprocessing / bioengineering task.  Unfortunately I have
no idea what software is needed in this field - so I can not really
help here.  I could imagine a vague overlap also with Debian Meds
Biology task[3].

> And lastly, where would these queries best be directed to?

You are perfectly welcome to ask more detailed questions here.

[3] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio