Policy with regards to tarball repacked due to usage of git submodule

Dear all,

I have a package (ArrayFire) which provides some of its components via git submodules (3 submodules: assets, gtest and test data). Those aren't required for building the library but are necessary for building the documentation and running the test suite. The tagged tarballs released on Github do not contain these as a result.

Could you guys point me to the appropriate things to do here. First, I have provided a get-orig-source rule for fetching the submodules and creating a new tarball with the additional content. Since this tarball now differs from the Github one, does it need to be suffixed ? If yes, with what ? +dfsg, +repack ?

For the test suite, do I need to patch the build system so it uses Debian's gtest instead of the one from the submodule ?

Thanks for your help.

Ghis