Re: Sagemath: going further

Hello,

On 02/02/15 16:42, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> On 02/02/2015 12:04 PM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 01/02/15 20:37, Julien Puydt wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me remind you all of this is done by using as many
>>> system-installed packages as possible, in order to see which debian
>>> packages need to be modified and how. Until now, only maxima needs
>>> some love, and we're lacking packages for : libgap, cddlib, rubiks,
>>> sagenb, sagetex, singular and jmol.
>>
>> Is jmol really necessary for Sage ?
>> I think it might be Suggested (if not forget) for the coming Sage package,
>> in such a way we can brought our effort to the core part.
>>

>>From looking up jmol I also first thought it only draws molecules. But
> no, it is used in Sage as the default viewer for 3D plots [1]. So it is
> an important component.

According to [1], jmol is indeed used as default viewer,
but 3 other alternatives are also listed:
 `jmol’: Interactive 3D viewer using Java
 ‘tachyon’: Ray tracer generates a static PNG image
 ‘java3d’: Interactive OpenGL based 3D
 ‘canvas3d’: Web-based 3D viewer powered by JavaScript and <canvas> (notebook only).

My understanding is that jmol is far from ready and that, obviously, its main purpose
is to visualize molecules (and as such it is maintained by the DebiChem Team [2]):
visualization is important, but here there is a serious bottle neck that can be easily
worked around as at least 2 of the alternative are already ready:
tachyon is in the NEW queue [3];
java3d is already distributed.

Furthermore Singular uses other viewers:
can we envisage to used them instead ?

Cheers,
Jerome

[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=719330