Re: [help] modern packaging of multi-precision scientific library

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 12:15:13PM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> I fail to understand what you mean. My problem is not with upstream.
> Upstream
> does provide all the necessary stuff to generate different versions of the
> library for
> different precisions. In fact, upstream's build system is heavily inspired
> from the
> FFTW one. You can do something like:

hi Ghislain.

> configure && make && make install --> lib<name>.so --> lib<name>-double.deb
> configure --enable-single --suffix=f && make && make install -->
> lib<name>f.so --> lib<name>-single.deb
> configure --enable-double --suffix=l && make && make install -->
> lib<name>l.so --> lib<name>-longdouble.deb

from what i know, dh does not support magic for multiple builds, so you
could either change (fix?) upstream as Julien proposes, or

> My issue is with being able to translate the build of the different
> versions of the
> library for each supported precision in modern styled d/rules.

to get closer to dh, you may wish to override the dh targets and stick
to their respective semantics, if you consider that useful.

so instead of

some_batch_target:
   ./configure --this; make check; make install DESTDIR=debian/here; make clean
   ./configure --that; make check: make install DESTDIR=debian/there; make clean

you may want to have

%:; dh %

override_dh_auto_configure:
   -mkdir this that
   cd this; ../configure --this
   cd that; ../configure --that

override_dh_auto_check:
   $(MAKE) -C this check
   $(MAKE) -C that check

[..]

from there it's also easy to parallelize the independent builds. you get
the idea...

cheers, hth
felix