Re: Help packaging parmetis

Hi Wolfgang,

> Dear Debian science team,
>
> I'm using Debian now for several years and I also have packaged some programs
> for myself in a private repository.
>
> Finally i decided to leave my passivity and supporting debian in a more active
> way.

That is great! Welcome on board.

> I want to help out packaging parmetis as a start.
>
> What I have done so far:
>
> - checkout the svn-repository of parmetis
> - imported it into git (I prefer git over svn)
> - build the package in a chroot for amd64 and i386

from my experience it is enough to build on just one of those.

> - Added a symbol file for libparmetis4 to get rid of the lintian warning
> - There is still one lintian warning about hardening, which I don't know how
> to resolve

It means, you should feed to the compiler the flags, which are "highly
recommended" for all debian packages. Usually the build-system takes
it silently from the environment. But this warning can be also false-positive.
Please, push your changes to VCS and then we can discuss
it further.

> I have already registered on Alioth. My Alioth account is wlfuetter-guest, and
> I have just sent a request to join.
>
> I read most of the documentation given here: https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging
> and here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience.
>
> But now I'm a little stuck. How should I proceed further?

Let`s wait for somebody, who can activate your account there.

> And another question:
> Is it ok to switch to git for parmetis or should I use svn instead?

We should ask Sylvestre, he was the last, who uploaded parmetis.
I personally prefer git. But it would be good to move the svn-history into git.

It would be also good to ask parmetis-upstream to change their license,
like they did it for metis. Now metis is available in main Debian archive,
but parmetis is still in non-free section because of restriction in their
license.

Best regards

Anton