Re: Regularly updating data files

Am Freitag, den 04.04.2014, 15:33 +0200 schrieb Ole Streicher:

> for an astronomy library package, there is a data library needed to be
> downloaded. This data files are updated ~weekly; however I have the
> feeling that most updates are really minor.
>
> The question is now how to model this in Debian. I see three ways here:

Consider the smartmontools package and its `update-smart-drivedb'
command or spamassassins rule update `sa-update' or rkhunters database
update or the apt-features to update the database and even update the
system without user interaction or .... There are many examples already
in our archive.

> * provide a package that contains the data and update this on a regular
> base. Disadvantage is that the package is not updated on stable and
> other releases (Ubuntu), so it will be outdated probably already when
> the release is published

This would be a nice optional feature for the user to provide the
updated data on a regular base.

> * provide a shell script that does the download (this is already
> included in the package). Disadvantage is that it requires some action
> by the user and may be forgotten so that he stays with old data.
>
> * install a cronjob that runs the script every week or so. Disadvantage
> is that this may be considered as privacy breach.
[..]

IMHO for this case it would be wise to ship the script, at least ship a
cronjob example and (maybe) let the user decide, if to enable the script
or not. You could even ship this as package (cron-foo) - see below.
Considering this a "privacy-breach-thing" is non-sense IMHO. Although
you can always change your decision :)

> * create an extra "-data-downloader" package that installs the cronjob
> and states this clearly in its description. Suggest this in the main
> package.

This is similar to cron-apt. So this is also a way to go.

My advise: Do whatever feels best to you.

HTH and regards, Daniel