Common team policies (Was: Welcome to Debian Astronomy!)

Hi Ole,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 01:46:55PM +0100, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
> > I personally think that Debian Science policy is a bit poorly
> > maintained.  My feeling is that amongst the lot of people nobody really
> > feels obliged to work for a document that is dedicated to explain
> > newcomers how to join the team.  I think when working on a policy
> > document for Debian Astro the astronomers might find a lot of stuff that
> > could be merged back.  Usually I recomment the Debian Med policy as
> > template but a recent effort in Debian GIS[1] makes me wonder whether
> > this document should rather be the best current template.  On the other
> > hand: *If* (and only if) Debian Science could provide the best advise to
> > newcomers which is always up to date other team policies could create
> > their documents simply via some sed replacement regexps.
>
> I am afraid that this is a good (actually a bad) example for the
> fragmentation.
>
> There is no real need to have diverging policies here -- the gis policy
> could actually easily adopted by debian-science, as well as the
> debian-med policy.

YES!  I *really* would love to maintain only a single policy document
for each of these projects but this would require some merging work and
some resonable way to express the differences (repository locations
allowing SVN or not, migration from SVN to Git specifics etc).

> Just something has to do this.

Yes.  Everything boils down to somebody who needs to do the work.  And
it turns out that you need somebody who is capable to cope with the fact
that when he asks for advise / opinions nobody will answer but if he has
drawn a decision the bikeshedders will come over him. ;-)

> And it seems, that
> having a -gis and a -med just removes the attention from a common work
> in -science towards small, very specialized blends? At the end, we
> actually do things twice (or three times): once in -med, then in -gis,
> and finally in -astro. Instead of just discussing it once in -science.

I perfectly agree but I have not found the time to do something in the
direction of a merge.  It would be really helpful to do this.

> Since you are a -med guy: could you think of proposing a common updated
> -science policy, where -gis, -med (and finally -astro) could derivate
> from? (no idea how this techically would work).

If I had a good idea how to *easily* merge things technically I would
have done it for sure.  Since the main document is XML and may be we
could do some tricks with different includes.  I would really love to
see this happen but I need to draw a line for my involvement in each and
everything regarding Blends.  If somebody would volunteer to decicate
some time into it I'd be happy to support this effort by verifying the
result against Debian Med.