Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hi Ole,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:32:50AM +0100, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
> > Le 13/03/2014 10:08, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr a écrit :
> >> The idea of a sprint is also on my mind; however I am afraid that there
> >> are still only very few people going to take part, and I feel still
> >> unsure on how to organize it.
>
> > A videocon would be in order.
>
> Still, a personal meeting as a startup would be nice. On Videocons, the
> time is quite limited, people tend to do something on their laptops
> during talk etc.

+1

Feel free to watch the video of my talk

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20130815_mom/index_en.html

if you have any doubt about the effect of face to face meetings.

> > I agree, I was about to set it up after this e-mail, but Ole is the
> > right person (probably the most active project contributor in the field).
> >
> > For the bike-shedding: I propose to use one of
> >
> >  debian-astro
> >  debian-astronomy
> >  pkg-astro
>
> > This is my order of preference, although many people will associate the
> > short name "astro" with astrology rather than astronomy. Yet "astro" is
> > shorter than astronomy and is also a short-hand for astrophysics.
>
> I'd prefer debian-astronomy or -astrophysics. Otherwise we will have
> discussions about the inclusion of astrology
> software. debian-astrophysics may soound too professional and prevent
> amateurs from joining. Probably the name is open for voting ;-)

If you want to go the naive route about voting please be prepared to
spend a lot of time with bike-sheders who *never* has done *any*
contribution in the past nor will they contribute in the future.  So if
you have any spare time to waste with those people feel free to ask on a
public list for opinions.  I'm speaking from my experience when we
needed to rename what today is called "Blends" and formerly was called
"Custom Debian Distributions".  We had a lot of noise of people who did
not even understood the concept (nor minded trying to understand).

I expressed my opinion about a name in my other mail but I will accept
what you guys who are doing the work will choose.  Because you also seem
to fear some astrology influence:  I think the fear that there is a
mentionable amount of reasonable free astrology software is not really
rectified and so the chances that some sane people will mix this up
tends to zero (but you might have been beaten by previous experience I
do not have).  If some astrology fans might have a look into Debian
since they expect something for them - hey, where is the problem that
they get fooled another time. ;-)

> > nice so we can all be in copy when each of us discuss something with
> > upstream, for instance.
>
> debian-astronomy@alioth.debian.org?

do you mean
   s/alioth/lists/
or
   s/alioth/lists.&/
??

> In the moment, I would not differ between users and developers, just
> like debian-science (which also has no -devel).

Just make sure you have a user oriented list (as debian-science) and
a list that serves as the maintainer of the packages.  I do not think
that mixing up these two is a good idea.