Re: wxAstroCapture / Astronomy working group

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr
<debian-devel@liska.ath.cx> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@googlemail.com> writes:
>>> "Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group"
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2014/01/msg00044.html
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone would be interested in packaging
>>> (or at least helping to package) the Linux/Windows astronomy
>>> image capture tool wxAstroCapture, which has recently been
>>> released as an open source project
>
> I am personally more interested in tools for professional astronomers;
> however it would be definitely a big plus to also include software for
> amateurs.

:)

>> I've got wxAstroCapture building for me on 64bit Ubuntu
>> and on an Raspberry Pi (ARM running Raspbian), using
>> standard Debian based packages for dependencies, so
>> a standard Debian package should be possible:
>
> This is fine. If you would start packaging under the debian-science
> maintainers group, I would also try to help you to get the problems
> solved. For a complex program, it is however, still some amount of
> work.

Thank you four your encouragement.

>> However, currently the build system is defined using a
>> codeblocks configuration file, which I was able to convert
>> into a traditional Makefile using cbp2make:
>> http://cbp2make.sourceforge.net
>>
>> Currently cbp2make isn't in Debian (as far as a I know),
>> but even if it was, what would be the preferred setup?
>>
>> (a) Define cbp2make (or similar) as a build dependency
>> and generate the Makefile at compile time?
>
> This is definitely the preferred option. Even if it takes some more
> time, it is the only way to maintain the package on a longer term. And,
> as a side effect, it would make it easier for other packages using "code
> blocks" to enter Debian.

If there are many other packages where codeblocks is used,
that might be useful for a command line build process (but
see also (f) below).

>> (b) Bundle the generated Makefile with the Debian
>> (c) Include the generated Makefile in the upstream repository
>
> This is not possible since then you dont build the package from the
> sources, but from some pre-generated file. It would sooner or later lead
> to a bug report about this fact.
>
> This is comparable to the requirement to rebuild the "configure" file
> from the configure.ac & Co. sources [1]

Neither of these options seemed ideal, although I can imagine
the upstream project could automate updating the Makefile to
avoid this (e.g. as part of a release script, a git hook, or similar).

>> (d) Some other option?
>
> (e) You could convince them to switch completely from codeblocks to a
>     Makefile :-)

That could happen - it rather depends on who else is interested
in looking after wxAstroCapture in the short/medium term.

> (f) Another way would be to convince the codeblocks developer to include a
>     command line tool for building. Codeblocks is already in Debian [2].

I should have looked into that:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Code::Blocks_command_line_arguments

It does seem to require X Windows running (i.e. doesn't work in
headless mode), but I can do something like this for the Unix
release build target:

$ codeblocks --no-splash-screen --build --target="UX_Release" wxWebcamDB.cbp
-------------- Build: UX_Release in wxWebcamDB ---------------
Compiling: AdvancedGuidingParams.cpp
Compiling: ArtemisCooling.cpp
Compiling: ArtemisProps.cpp
Process terminated with status 0 (3 minutes, 38 seconds)
0 errors, 42 warnings

Would that be acceptable in a Debian package? I don't like
the fact it can't be built with codeblocks without X running,
but on the other hand this is a graphical tool so the user
will need X at some point.

Thanks,

Peter