Re: ITP: xmds2 -- eXtensible Multi-Dimensional Simulator

Hi Rafael,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:34:26AM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> >I have added the package to Science Mathematics task:
> >
> >  http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/mathematics#xmds2
>
> Thanks for this, Andreas.
>
> I think that the package is ready to go as in Git now.  Notice that
> you can build it with git-buildpackage, but do git-dch will not
> work. I already prepared the entries in debian/changelog, but had
> left the trailer line empty.  My name is in the Uploaders list, so
> that it is okay if it appears in the trailer line.

I have put your name into the trailer line and I did one single change
to set Priority from extra to optional.  As I interpret Debian Scienc
policy [1] but that's a bit vague and I admit I'm quite influenced by
Debian Med policy[2] and think this is a way better wording for the
issue.

> There is still an issue that should perhaps be addressed before the
> upload, which is the following: the upstream tarball contains a
> documentation directory with the Sphinx sources and the generated
> HTML + PDF files.  The HTML files are a copy of the XMDS website.
> It would be interesting to include them in the binary package
> (or perhaps creates a xmds2-doc new package), probably by building
> them from source.  However, there are no copyright statements nor
> licensing terms in the source files.  I have asked upstream about
> this.
>
> Tell me whether you think that the upstream tarball should be
> repackage by dropping the documentation files.

While I think that it is perfectly OK to use GPL for *.txt files (which
as you state in [3] would be implicitly affect the files) we could wait
some time for upstream answer.  I personally think it is OK license wise
but I'm generally happy to have non-trivial / larger documentation
chunks into a separate doc package, so it might not harm to create an
extra xmds2-doc package.

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html#id227577
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#debian-control
[3] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20140106051226.GA28249%40laboissiere.net&forum_name=xmds-devel