Re: RFS: flint -- C library for number theory

On 08/27/2014 10:32 AM, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 27/08/2014 10:13, Tobias Hansen a écrit :
>
>> are flint and eclib the only reverse dependencies of NTL? If so, we
>> could maybe avoid doing a transition involving the release team and just
>> upload the new NTL before flint and eclib.
>
> I know about eclib, flint and linbox (apt-cache rdepends libntl0
> agrees). I tested the three with my work on the would-be NTL 6.2.1
> package (see bug #758006). The linbox package won't have a problem, and
> I just made two RFS on eclib&flint to make sure they won't be a problem.
>
> Why would the release team need to be involved if we push the right
> eclib+flint first, and only later the NTL which breaks them?
>
> Snark on #debian-science

Because transitions that break the ABI of a library are coordinated by
the release team [1,2] to make sure several transitions at the same time
don't lead to chaos and an archive where certain things can't be built
anymore. Also to make sure the reverse dependencies are rebuilt and
everything can migrate to testing in a reasonable timeframe. Since you
are now maintaining several libraries it's good that you learn about
that now.

I guess in this case where we control all the packages (ad it's only 3)
and they all need source uploads anyway it's under the threshold for a
real transition. If we would upload eclib and flint first we would have
to ask for binary rebuilds after uploading NTL.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions
[2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/

Best,
Tobias