Re: Pkg config lintian error

Hi Valerio,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 01:29:47PM +0200, Valerio Mariani wrote:
> Dear people on the Debian Science mailing list,
>
>    let us introduce ourselves. We are the developers of CrystFEL, a
> package for the analysis of data from Serial Femtosecond
> Crystallography, and we are stationed at CFEL in DESY, in Hamburg. I
> am one of the delvelopers of the package and I am currently
> packaging CrystFEL for the inclusion in the Debian.

Thanks for your introduction and the intent to inject an interesting
package.

> I made a lot of
> progress, mainly with the help of Frederic-Emmanuel PICCA. I am now
> stumbling on a pkgconfig error, but I don't understand where it
> comes from, so I am turning to you for help.
>
> The crystfel.pc file is like this:
>
> ---Start ---
> prefix=@prefix@
> exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
> libdir=@libdir@
> includedir=@includedir@
>
> Name: CrystFEL
> Version: @VERSION@
> Cflags: -I${includedir} @LIBCRYSTFEL_CFLAGS@
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lcrystfel @LIBCRYSTFEL_LIBS@
> --- End ---
>
> After the subtitutions are carried out, this is what I get:
>
> ---Start ---
> prefix=/data/Software/crystfel/stage

This prefix looks suspicious to me.  Is this something that
is created by using untweaked dh_auto_configure ?

> exec_prefix=${prefix}
> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
> includedir=${prefix}/include
>
> Name: CrystFEL
> Version: 0.5.3a
> Cflags: -I${includedir} -g -O2
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lcrystfel  -lutil -lhdf5 -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm -lfftw3
> --- End ---
>
> Unfortunately, lintian gives me this error:
>
> E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
> usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc
> --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
> N:
> N:    The pkg-config file contains a wrong directive.
> N:
> N:    The following file includes a wrong directive. This could lead
> to FTBFS
> N:    or leak private compile flags to another package.
> N:
> N:    Severity: serious, Certainty: possible
> N:
> N:    Check: files, Type: binary, udeb
> N:
> E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
> usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -fstack-protector
> E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
> usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -O2
> E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
> usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -Werror=format-security
> E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
> usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -g
>
> But I don't understand exactly what is going on. And I can't find a
> clear documentation of this Lintian error message. The only thing
> that comes to my mind is this:

> Which basically says that the file should be in /usr/lib/pkgconfig
> and not in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/. Is this the source of
> the error?

I admit that it is a bit hard to tell without seeing the whole picture.
If you want to maintain the package in Debian Science team anyway why
not simply commiting it to Debian Science Git and enable to reproduce
other members the full build process?