How to start if upstream source contains pom.xml

Hi,

I intend to package imeji[1] in Debian Science team.  Unfortunately I'm
not that skilled with Java packaging.  For maven based packages I found
MavenBuilder[2] but this page looks quite outdated refering to

   debhelper (>= 5), cdbs, openjdk-6-jdk

which lloks somehow ancient.  I wonder if somebody could give some
helpful hint how to continue from this very rough debian/ I temporary
moved to

  http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/imeji/

Any hint would be really welcome.

[1] http://demo.imeji.org/imeji/