Re: Plea to fix the [ parallel | serial ] HDF5 problem

On 12/06/2014 00:43, Gilles Filippini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alastair McKinstry a écrit , Le 11/06/2014 12:15:
>> I've pushed some work on this to a dev-alternatives branch on alioth.
>
> Thanks a lot for this work.
> How did you produce the detailed map files? What is the recipe to use
> when updating to a new upstream release?

The symbols change information came via dpkg-gensymbols. In practice the map file needs
to be done by hand as you need to check what symbols changed and how (to cope with modifications
rather than just additions).
As this is the first versioning map file, the symbol names have no significance other than to
document the version in which they were added, but it is important to enumerate each symbol
and eliminate as many local symbols as possible.
For linking multiple hdf libs, the symbol names need to be different between variants, hence
HDF5_SERIAL_1.8.11 vs HDF_MPI_1.8.11
As far as I can tell, the MPI variants are equivalent.

>> This is still a work in progress but I've got co-installable serial &
>> parallel netcdf building from this;
>
> As I said before I really don't see any use for setting an alternative
> against all flavors of the library. What could be the use case for that?

My aim is that any existing setup will continue to work; ie. if you have mpich2 and hdf5-mipch2 dev libs
installed on a wheezy system with local binaries built, then this should still work when upgraded to jessie.
Also, any upgrades should minimize necessary changes. If you build a binary locally with openmpi + hdf5 openmpi,
then change to mpich, it should continue to work , as the binary will have been built against the  hdf5_mpi interface
rather than an mpi-implementation specific version.

Do you think we should not do this, or do this differently?

>> For the incongruity, I'd already implemented the rename when you replied
>> and found it easier
>> to simply add a symlink for compatability. I can back it out if peeople
>> disagree.
>
> I still disagree about changing an upstream library name just for a
> cosmetic matter.

Ok, i'll back it out.

> Thanks,
>
> _g.

- --
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization.
~Samuel Johnson, Boswell: Life of Johnson