Re: Alioth /git/debian-science/packages directory

A Dijous, 27 de març de 2014, Andreas Tille va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:17:59PM +0100, Anton Gladky wrote:
> > >
> > > I thought that the packages from robotics blend could go to a folder
(for
> > > instance robotics). So, my question is what do you think if we are
moving
> > > the
> > > git repo to a folder with the name of the blend, or something that
classify
> > > it?
> > >

> > I do not think, that it is necessary and can improve anything. IMHO.
>
> +1
>
> There is also no such thing like a Robotics Blend - there is rather a
> robotics task inside Debian Science.

sure, you are right. I have been betrayed by my wishes.

> Starting with subfolders would
> have the consequence that we would need to touch all those existing
> packages to upgrade their VCS fields and I can not see any measurable
> profit for our users when we do so.

yes, I realised that. But you will touch all the packages some day, because
you will upgrade/update it. For me the measurable profit is to have a
classified tree in the debian-science packages folder. It could be an cosmetic
change to help the management. I think that we will go to an organization of
packages in teams and the number of packages under debian science probably
will be increased a lot. But, it's just my opinion.

> Moreover several libraries which are currently mentioned in the robotics
> task are also mentioned in other tasks - so where to put these (and
> again why).

You are right. But I think that we could find some of imaginative solution to
solve it ;-)

> While the Blends concept is actually also intended to help forming a
> dedicated team using a common technique it is flexible enough to work
> with differently located packages.  We have even packages included which
> are maintained by single maintainers without VCS who are not even aware
> about the Blends concept (which is not an ideal situation but works).

Ok, but I insist, it's just a propose for organization of files in that folder
in Alioth.

> Currently Robotics is just a part of Debian Science and there is no
> point in splitting up further (at least at the moment).

I know ....

> However, if you want to follow the Debian Astro route by trying to
> attract a larger developer team focussing specifically on robotics
> creating their own robotics tasks covering different fields in the
> robotics area it might make sense to create a Robotics project on
> Alioth.  For certain reasons I have explained here in the process
> of starting Debian Astro I'm in favour of this *if* (and only if)
> there are good signs that a strong team can be formed to attract a
> wider Robotics community.

yes, I agree. Under my point of view, the "problem" of the robotics users is
that they are very "Ubuntized". One of the biggest project ROS provides and
use Ubuntu and it's full dependant in date, releases, etc.

Although there are affords in upstream, it's difficult (because the quantity)
to provide some kind of quality (under debian rules) packages for that
project.

Luckily I'm not alone (Jose, Thomas, Jochen..) but there are some pieces of
code so much complex.

Well, thanks for you comments.

Best regards,

Leopold