Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hi,

Le 13/03/2014 10:08, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr a écrit :
> The idea of a sprint is also on my mind; however I am afraid that there
> are still only very few people going to take part, and I feel still
> unsure on how to organize it.

A videocon would be in order.

> You are however right: it is the right time to setup some Debian
> infrastructure for it. I'll do that in the next days.

I agree, I was about to set it up after this e-mail, but Ole is the
right person (probably the most active project contributor in the field).

For the bike-shedding: I propose to use one of

 debian-astro
 debian-astronomy
 pkg-astro

This is my order of preference, although many people will associate the
short name "astro" with astrology rather than astronomy. Yet "astro" is
shorter than astronomy and is also a short-hand for astrophysics.

> One point here is the Wiki. As you point out, there is no use for
> listing packages there. What else could be its content? I have collected
> some ideas for the debian-astronomy blend which I could put there;
> however the Wiki is designed for users and not developers, so I doubt
> that this is the right place. However, were should I put this? Mailing
> list is not optimal, since I'd like to have an evolving document.

IMHO, a wiki is a good place to document:
 1- who we are, the domains of expertise, the contacts that we have with
upstream, the software project in which we are involved upstream;
 2- the software that we personally use for certain tasks, make perhaps
some publicity on the packages in Debian and what they can be used for;
 3- our TODO list and timeline, things that I don't think can be
efficiently represented in the blend file (Andrea, please correct me if
I'm wrong here. IIRC, the blend can be used to document prospective
packages, but not in generic terms).