Re: How to create a Git repository in Debian Science (Was: Jmol: Seeking new maintainer or considering removal)

Hi Georges,

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 01:13:25PM +0100, Georges Khaznadar wrote:
> Dear Andreas, thank you for the kick-start!

You are welcome.

> I retrieved easily your work with gbp-clone, and git-buildpackage did
> its work seamlessly. However ...

> states:
>   "To update the upstream, master and pristine-tar branches at
>   once, use the gbp-pull."
>
> Unfortunately when I try to list branches, there is no branch
> pristine-tar:
>   $ git branch
>   * master
>     upstream

That's really strange.  I just gbp-cloned from scratch and there is a
pristine-tar branch.  Hmmm, no idea what went wrong here.  BTW, it is
always a good idea to put debian-science@l.d.o in CC since I'm
definitely *not* a Git expert.  You are simply wasting your chances to
get a quick and competent answer if you only write to me.

> I ignore whether this is an issue.

The pristine-tar branch is used to get a byte-identical copy of the
orig.tar.gz.  If you have this in your working tree anyway this will not
be a problem - but in any case the branch should be there.

> Now I must upgrade the package in Debian's git to the last version
> (3.1.7 is the last one, 3.1.6 was in testing). There are changes in
> upstream files and a few others in debian/
>
> I could synchronize the source tree by running
>   $ git-import-orig ../expeyes_3.1.7.orig.tar.gz -u 3.1.7

I think the -u option is not needed but will probably not harm (I never
used it and had no trouble at all).  However, you should defintely use
the  --pristine-tar  (as I did in my example).  Otherwise  your team
mates will not be able to run git-buildpackage without downloading the
tarball themselves which would be stupid since nearly all information
is in the Repository.  This also will create the missing branch.

> and as expected, there are new files (or deletions) to commit.
> Which branch should I select for commits now? Is the default branch
> "master" suitable?

  git push --all

> The next step will be to retrieve the debian subdirectory from version
> 3.1.7; the question of the suitable branch will arise too.

This is definitely in the master branch.  The branches upstream and
pristine-tar will be maintained by

   git-import-orig --pristine-tar

and if everything goes well you never have to fiddle around with these
branches.

> Unfortunately, documents like https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit
> speak about branches, but I cannot find guidelines about the minimal set
> of branches which I must take in account, and which branch is for which
> precise usage.

As Debian maintainer you simply work in master.