Jmol: Seeking new maintainer or considering removal

Hi,

Jmol is a nice and useful 3D chemical structures viewer application, which is written in
Java. It can be run as a standalone application and it also ships an interactive web
browser applet and a Java development tollkit.

Since some time the Jmol package is lacking behind the latest upstream releases. Current
version in Debian is 12.X whereas upstream already reached 14.X. With the release of the
13.X series, Jmol added some more external libraries, which it uses and ships. So to get
the latest Jmol release into Debian/main a maintainer is required, who is willing to maintain
Jmol along with its dependencies. This requires some basic Java knowledge. Also note, that
the upstream build system (the last time I checked) usually puts all classes - Jmol and
its dependencies - into one JAR file, so you usually have to hack the build system too.

If nobody steps up, I'm going to request its removal from Debian, as it seems unuseful to
me, to ship an outdated piece of software.

HP: http://www.jmol.org
PTS: http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/jmol.html
Bugs: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src="">
RFH: