Re: ETA for package in Debian FTP new queue

[Since this conversation might be of general interest and does not
 contain private information I'll answer in public to the list.
 Please always try to approach the list in the first place.]

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 09:41:00AM +0000, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> I was wondering it there is an average ETA for a new package between
> the time it enters the NEW queue and its release in unstable ?

In the good old times it took a couple of days but due to a lack of
manpower it currently takes a couple of weeks.  That's unfortunate
but can unfortunately fixed only by adding more hands to ftpmaster.

> Reason I am asking is that the upstream dev of NFFT might ask me
> about that in the near future. Besides, I'd like to package my
> python wrappers for it, but I guess I have to wait for the NFFT
> package to enter the archive, don't I ?

In principle you can push a package that depends from a package in NEW
to the queue as well even if it is not really recommended and should
rather be an exception.  I personally avoid it strictly since it creates
extra trouble if your first package gets rejected.  You need to file
an rejection request also for the other package in this case and it
just generates manual work for all sides.  But if you have good reasons
to handle this with a grain of salt it would be OK.

Another good reason not to do this is that I always create packages I
upload in pbuilder (=in a clean environment) to detect dependency
problems.  If you depend from a package in NEW this does not work and
has an extra risk of hidden problems.  So if you want *me* to sponsor
sour package you need *very* good reasons to convince me to step back
from my general rule.