Re: DebConf 13: Call for Papers

Hi Michael,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:30:41AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:42:54AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Debian invites submissions of proposals for papers, presentations,
> > discussion sessions and tutorials for its DebConf13¹ conference which
> > will take place in Le Camp by Vaumarcus, Switzerland, in August.
> >
> > ¹ http://debconf13.debconf.org/
> >
> > Submissions are not limited to traditional talks: you could propose a
> > performance, art installation, debate, or anything else. Official
> > submissions will be accepted until *1 June 2013, 23:59 UTC*.
>
> The deadline is approaching!

Thanks for pinging.

> > This year, we will continue to organize some talks into thematic
> > tracks. If you have a proposal for a DebConf track, such as "Debian
> > Science", "Debian Infrastructure", and "Community Outreach", please
> > contact debconf-team@lists.debconf.org. If you would like to be a
> > track coordinator, please volunteer on that list. Talks will be added
> > to tracks at a later date.
>
> Has somebody volunteered to organize a science track yet?

Not really a track because a track needs events that might fit into the
track first.  Regarding the Science events I did register:

   https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc13/event/989

Because I do not have any idea whether everybody can read this:

   Debian Science meeting
   DebConf meeting of the Debian Med team

   Items to discuss in this meeting
    - Debian Science team policy
    - Using citations
    - Maintaining other scientific metainformation
    - Maintaining Blends tasks
    - More specific Blends (dedicated to Mathematics, Physics, Electronics, etc.)
    - DebTags
    - Screenshots
    - Snapshots of specific versions
   This is just a continuation from previous DebConfs considering recent development

For everybody who wants to throw in ideas please do it here:

    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/ProblemsToWorkOn

Partly fitting to the science track I did register as well:

   Debian GIS meeting
   DebConf meeting of the Debian GIS team
   https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc13/event/990

There are also two Debian Med related events I did registered.  One of
this is a talk that is actually not about medical / biological stuff but
rather how you can create a successful Blend (IMHO a perfectly nice fit
if we really might need to fill up the science track) and the other one
is just a meeting of Debian Science people - no need to put this in any
track.

> In general, I
> would volunteer if nobody else steps up, but I am not sure it makes
> sense as the deadline for abstract submission is nearby and I don't know
> if we have any science related submissions yet.

I never ever have heard a DebiChem talk but I would like to.
Considering the video recording you could gain a larger audience
for DebiChem - a chance I personally would not miss.

I could imagine a lot of other interesting talks from the science
people - specifically after the nice meeting in Grenoble last year.

BTW, I volunteered to evaluate and schedule DebConf events (as in
previous years) and so I definitely have the track concept in mind.