Debian blends tasks

Hi,

Andreas Tille reminded me that I should put the ITP packages into the
appropriate Debian Blends tasks (astronomy and astronomy-dev) soon, and
I agree that we should discuss this here on the list a bit.

Putting packages into Debian Blends tasks has really not a very high
priority for me -- usually I do this when I anyway "polish" the packages
(in parallel to editing their debtags).

For me, the significance of Debian Blends tasks is not really clear:
what is their use case? I could imagine f.e. the following:

* User X needs a specific program (f.e. ds9) which his institute's
  collegues use.
  --> package manager

* User Y needs a package to do a specific task (f.e. view FITS data cubes).
  --> debtags and search with package manager

* User Z is cosmologist and wants to browse the relevant packages to get
  an overview and install the most interesting packages.
  --> debtags? (and Blend tasks?)

* Use T wants to install a standard suite of programs for radio astronomy.
  --> virtual packages?, external link lists?

What is the place for Debian Blends there? What are the advantages
compared to Debtags?

For me, the main drawback seems that they are much too rough: There is
just not a common thing "Astronomy" from the software side. There are
cosmologists, radio astronomers, astroparticle physicists, optical and
IR astronomers, amateur astronomers, highscool students. Between them is
a smooth transition, as well as between "user" and "developer": Are
one-time python scripts already a "-dev" task?

Maybe, you could explain a bit what the goal of the debian blends task
is for a strawman like me :-)

@Andreas: If you happen to be at Linuxtag in Berlin on Saturday, we
could meet and discuss this directly as well.

Best regards

Ole