Re: GSoC project: make the Sage build system more distribution friendly

Am Samstag, 16. März 2013 20:57:13 UTC+1 schrieb leif:
Julien Puydt wrote:
> The proposition isn't to fork sage to get it into a single distribution,
> but to modify it with upstream so any distribution can easily package it
> correctly.

But if we switch to git, improve Sage's package management (as a first
step, split vanilla upstream sources off the spkgs :P ), ...

Is splitting the vanilla upstream sources off planned? That would be very helpful for distributions. Another helpful thing would be a clear distinction between fixes/adjustment to the library and Sage glue, because we need all the Sage glue, but want to decide ourselves which other patches to apply.

Another thing are patch headers. Sometimes I can't find out what a patch in a spkg does, for example I found patches that just move a few lines of code somewhere else. I can't apply a patch when I don't know what it does. In Debian we have this specification for patch headers to document what they do: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

I'd be happy if Sage in whole was more modular / less monolithic; I'm
not very optimistic regarding the Sage /library/ though.

What do you mean with the Sage /library/?