Re: fpLLL upload

Le 16/03/2013 13:11, Tobias Hansen a écrit :
Am 16.03.2013 12:55, schrieb Sylvestre Ledru:
I share your opinion. I prefer when packages are using shared
libraries. Therefor, when a changed is done on the library, the other
packages using it immediately get the changes.
Otherwise, they have to be rebuilt...

We should not use them, that's clear. The question is if we should
provide them in case someone wants to link his personal program
statically without building the library himself.

My first reaction when I saw the report was to have a look on my system to see if there were packages providing *.a:
jpuydt@newton:~$ find /usr/lib -name "*.a" | wc -l
363
were I saw that sometimes it was done.

My second reaction was to look for the debian policy ; I quickly found out 8.3 in http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html -- where it says it makes sense to put it in -dev.

My third reaction was to look into my package to see why it wasn't shipped already -- in fact it looks like I did everything I could to prevent it from shipping. But as I can't remember why I did that, I patched it away.

So, to ship or not to ship static libraries? That is the question...

Snark on #debian-science