Re: Debian Science and GSoC

Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> writes:

> On 10/03/2013 12:33, David Bremner wrote:
>>
>> I saw that Charles already put up an idea for a bioinformatics cloud
>> image. What about some more science related ideas at
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/Projects
>>
>> I was thinking in particular of Sage in Debian as a potential GSoC
>> project.
>>
>> Anybody willing to mentor such a project?
> I am not (at all) opposed to it but, in the past, we (the GSoC team)
> refused to have GSoC projects about packaging.
> Did we change this "rule" ?

Maybe the question of "what is an appropriate GSoC project" is more
appropriate for the soc-coordination list.  I personally don't have
fixed opinions (or historical experience to draw on).

As far as Sage related stuff, there was some discussion about using
spkg's in Debian, which is probably not just "update some packages".