Re: Sage in Debian status update

Am 22.02.2013 13:29, schrieb Julien Puydt:
> I have scripts to (try to...) build sage against what is in debian, see
> attached. Notice:
> - the comments in spkg_to_dpkg are not all up to date
> - feedback on them is welcome
> - to use them (1) edit the sagedir variable in debian_pruner.py, then
> run it from the toplevel of a freshly-untarred sage source tarball, (2)
> export PYTHONHOME as the script says and finally (3) type 'make'.
>
> One day, that will give a nice working sage (and the day after, sage
> will be in debian).

I think it would be very helpful to have a Sage package that can
alternatively use the original spkg's. That means, choose at build time
to include some additional spkg's and not to use the corresponding
Debian packages. That way there always is a working Sage package
available for testing, even if there are still known problems with some
Debian packages. This would also be helpful for debugging once Sage is
in Debian, because it would allow us to quickly check whether a bug is
related to the difference between Debian and Sage with regard to a
certain dependency.

Also, would you put you Sage work into the repository?
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-science/packages/sagemath.git;a=summary

Cheers,
Tobias