flint 1 or 2 (Re: Sage in debian (WIP))

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 01:11:25AM +0200, Andrés Goens wrote:
> > if you work on upstream, you probably know if its better to package
> > flint2. iirc the source repos are disjoint, and i didn't try. in that
> > case the repo on tool would be obsolete.
> >
> > I've looked at the git repo, but I'm afraid you are right. Are you guys
> trying to get sage 4.7 into debian first, or is it just that one because it
> was the release at the time you did that?

haven't tried to get it into debian. just hacked together
proof-of-concept packages and built sage-4.7 (later 5.0) on top of it.

> The current sage (5.2) also uses a flint 1.*, but work is being done on
> sage to upgrade to flint 2.* :
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12173

that would mean to apply about 15 patches ahead of sage5.1....

>  I really don't know much about flint 1, since flint 2 is a complete
>  rewrite. However, if sage has yet to upgrade to flint 2, it might
>  still be worthwhile packaging the 1.* version in order to package a
>  current sage release.  even though in the future we would have to go
>  to flint2.  While I think flint2 would be easier for me to help, if
>  you guys think flint1 is more of a priority at the moment, I would
>  also volunteer to try and help with it.

agreed. can you estimate how much work needs to be done for flint1? if
flint2 has a useable build system, patching sage for flint2 (or just
waiting) might be an option.

regards
felix