debian/upstream file format (Was: blend tasks keywords)

[CCed originally PM to debian-science because not private and potentially
 interesting for others as a summary of what was said about citations
 here before.]

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:17:47AM +0000, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> >   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-sentinel.en.html
>
> > might be what you might look for.
>
> exactly, thanks
>
> > However I *strongly* advise *not* to use the Published-* fields - rather
> > use debian/upstream instead!
>
> is there an eplaination of the upstream format ?

Seems we did made even to less noise about this in all the bibliography
related mails on debian-science@l.d.o. :-)

   https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

You might also like to read

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/06/msg00164.html

I also prepared a very simple template with all fields you need for a
citation

   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/package_template/upstream?view=markup

(details below are optional and can be simply left out).  If you want
to specify more than one citation per package you find an example here:

   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-med/ncbi-tools6.git;a=blob;f=debian/upstream

Note:  The "Debian-Package" field is to *restrict* the citation to
a binary package (otherwise a citation belongs to the whole source).