Re: RE : RE : [Debian Science Workshop] Preliminary results of fdmnes packaging

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 04:24:58PM +0000, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > I do not see this as a difficulty at all.  The Debian Med Biology task
> > is also in Science Biology.  We do not fight for dependencies in Blends,
> > right.  For instance Octave is in *several* tasks of Debian Science and
> > we also are mentioning it in med-physics (and it is also somewhere in
> > Debian Edu).  Please always keep in mind:  Tasks are by no means
> > exclusive categories but they should just mention dependencies a user in
> > a certain workfield would expect.
>
> yes I understand this, I am just concern by double typing at the end we will have plenty of blends and plenty of double / triple / ... entries for each package to put them in the right blends.
>
> I nevertheless like the emphasis of blends for a particular science or technical field

Even if I try to enforce people to create new Blends this attempt was
not yet as successfull as I was hoping.  So the danger of to much
duplicated data is quite low for the moment.  Finally this might become
a matter of communication once we might create one new Blend per week.
;-)

> Jerome and Rainer can you enforce this for the the ESRF guyes and girls implied into packaging , we should coordinate on this mailing list. Can you also contact the guyes from the EMBL for this.

We've got some new subscribers from EMBL for the Debian Med list.  If
this might turn out to be a tendendcy I might reconsider my plan to
split a Debian Bio Blend from Debian Med to enable more fine grained
structuring.  I was discussing this in the past for several reasons but
up to now the idea did not found enough supporters.

> > It depends from the traffic - I have no idea how verbose this community
> > might become.  A debian-pan list fitting the Debian PAN Blend would make
> > sense.
>
> Let's see if this traffic is that important before creating a dedicated mailing list.

For sure this depends from the list traffic.

> Ps: I found a bunch of interesting package for macro molecular x-ray diffraction software in Ubuntu
> https://launchpad.net/mmdb  and also libclipper etc... we need to contact the main maintainer which is also the upstream and convince him to upload into Debian also.
>
> Do we have an entry point for this kind of concern at Ubuntu ?

As far as I know there is no such official point.  I'd think kindly inviting
those people to subscribe the Alioth project and commit the packaging stuff
here might make perfect sense.