Re: OpenCASCADE re-licensing: a (desperate) call for help

A Dijous, 28 de juny de 2012, Francesco Poli va escriure:
> Hello members of debian-science and of debian-legal,
> I am writing a (desperate) call for help.
>
> As some of you already know, oce [1] is the Debian package of OCE [2],
> a fork of OpenCASCADE Technology [3].
>
> [1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/oce.html
> [2] https://github.com/tpaviot/oce/wiki
> [3] http://www.opencascade.org/
>
> Its license is the Open CASCADE Technology Public License, which is by
> itself acceptable [4] (from a DFSG point of view), but
> GPLv2-incompatible.
>
> [4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/12/msg00077.html
>
> There are a number of packages which link with both OCE and
> GPLv2-licensed libraries, and are thus actually undistributable.
> One was salome [5], but it has been removed from Debian for various
> reasons.
> Other packages affected by this issue are freecad [6], gmsh [7], and
> netgen [8].
>
> [5] http://bugs.debian.org/619662
> [6] http://bugs.debian.org/617613
> [7] http://bugs.debian.org/617931
> [8] http://bugs.debian.org/618968
>
> I am personally trying hard to persuade Open CASCADE S.A.S. (the
> company behind Open CASCADE Technology) to re-license Open CASCADE
> Technology under GPLv2-compatible terms, in order to solve this issue
> once and for all.
> I have been pestering Open CASCADE S.A.S. since April 2009...
>
> Unfortunately, latest news [9] is that they postponed the decision
> (again!).
>
> [9] http://dev.opencascade.org/index.php?q=node/31#comment-63
>
> However, several months have passed since February 2012 (at least for
> some definition of "several"!).
> Hence, I've recently resumed my persuasion effort.
>
> But I need help from other people.
> *Many* other people.
> As I repeatedly stated in the bug log [6] of #617613 (especially,
> please read at least the original report [10]), other people should
> contact Open CASCADE S.A.S. and try to persuade them to re-license Open
> CASCADE Technology under GPLv2-compatible terms (for instance, under
> the GNU LGPL v2.1).
> If nobody helps me in this persuasion struggle, I am afraid that the
> only solution will be to remove the above-mentioned packages from
> Debian, which is always a sad defeat!
>
> [10] http://bugs.debian.org/617613#5
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi,

what's about to prepare some kind of letter to send to  Open CASCADE S.A.S and
the people just has to sign the propose?

Regards,

Leo

Linux User 152692     PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia