Re: How do I get started?

Thank you.  I've heard about the book that you've described.  I'm particularly interested in "bottom-up" nanotech.  Essentially, building complex items by putting one atom at a time together.  Sort of like a Star Trek replicator.  Even if I don't build one, I'd like to be in the know about what's happening.  I'm kind of clueless at this point and am simply exploring.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Yves S. Garret
<yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you guys think I'm going about the wrong way, what would you suggest be a
> better one?

"Nanotechnology" is a huge field that can be approached from nearly
any science and engineering discipline. Biology, physics, chemical
engineering/chemistry, mechanical engineering, and electrical
engineering all deal with nanotechnology one way or the other.

One of the famous first books was "Engines of Creation" but K. Eric
Drexler. He released an updated free (beer) version as an ebook in
2007 [1]. Once you find an area of nanotech you are interested in
you'll have to go to the library and try to find books/paper/magazine
articles that talk about your area.

As for debian packages, there really isn't much to "learn"
nanotechnology - but there are packages useful for those working in
nanotechnology (such as the nanoscale-physics task [2]). To "get
started with Debian Science" simply install the metapackage for the
area you are interested in (list is here [3]). Of course those
packages tend to be useful for people working in the fields rather
than those interested in learning about the fields.

~Scott

[1] http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=503
[2] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/nanoscale-physics
[3] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/debian-science