Re: Sage in debian (WIP)

Le 24/07/2012 14:24, Cédric Boutillier a écrit :
I am interested in having sage in Debian, and I am willing to provide
manpower to reach this goal. I believe that the TODO is summarized by
your picture.

Notice that the dot file has also explanations about who does what and pointers to bug reports.

I have a couple of questions:
- What would be an 'easy' task for someone wanting to join this effort?
   Just picking a red package? I have some experience with packaging, but
   mainly with Ruby libraries.
- How coordination is organized? this mailing list? IRC?

I'm trying to see the other people involved on irc, on #debian-science, and to provide regular updates on this mailing-list. I must admit that I have been absent those last weeks (and will probably be again) so I'm not following things as closely.

An easy but worthy task if you're not very interested in putting your fingers in the packaging grease would be something better than my dot file ; some page (on the debian wiki?) with a kind of array where one could see for each sage package name which versions are in which sage version, which packages correspond to it in debian (I have something about it somewhere if that can help), and as a last column pointers to bug reports or package-to-sponsor pages about it.

If you would like to do more about the packaging, you can either pick a red package indeed, but that might not be the wisest route. Indeed, if they're still red, that's probably because something blocks tinkering with them -- though I'd gladly be proven right. A probably more promising route is to choose a blue one and see if you can help. For example, if the packaging is already in the debian science git repository, you can check how worthy it is and provide patches ; if it's a "someone has a local draft", ping someone to see how drafty it is and if you can't take the draft and turn it into something more public and more complete.

Yet another idea is to help making sage easier to package ; for example if they use a patched upstream, there's a chance the debian package won't have what's needed. Such a patch should either be forwarded upstream (something the sage developers have the bad habit not to do), or perhaps be added to the debian package. Or if sage is late on some package compared with debian, provide them with an updated package (something I have done for eclib, for example).

In any case, there's a lot to do, and any help is welcome :-)

Snark on #debian-science