Re: RE : [Debian Science Workshop] Preliminary results of fdmnes packaging

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:10:11AM +0000, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > In short: The technical work to create a Debian package could usually be
> > done when sitting behind your desk.  The very boring legal part is
> > something which is no fun and depends from the good will of others.
>
> we also manage to build an xds[2] package which is sort of non-free :( but hey this is used on the beamlines.
>
> XDS is free of charge for non-commercial applications and available here
> for downloading. Note, that the
> executables of the package will expire on December 31, 2012.
> For industrial usage of XDS a license is required
> (e-mail enquiry : Wolfgang.Kabsch@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de).
>
> Andreas do you think that this should be part of non-free ?

Sure.

> > Frédéric, it would be a very good idea to add a
>
> >   Depends: fdmnes
> >   Pkg-URL: http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/fdmnes/
>
> I have a concern about the PAN Blends. andreas, is it possible to work on this Blend on a sort of staging area, which could be available on the web
> a sort of work in progress.

It is as long in a "stanging area" as nobody posts the URL, right.  It
is also currently only on blends.debian.net and not on
alioth.blends.debian.org which is used as "official" entry point.

> that way I should see the generated web pages and I could ask also to the ESRF guyes if this is ok for them.

This is exactly the status we reached at the end of the Cheese and Wine
party.

> there is a PANdata initiative [1], and I think that this blend should be a prototype for the distribution of PAN software in the Debian world.
>
> the difficult point is that fields of science covered by PAN softs have also their pendant in the debian-science. The meta package could be more techno centric but I have not yet a great opinion about this.

I do not see this as a difficulty at all.  The Debian Med Biology task
is also in Science Biology.  We do not fight for dependencies in Blends,
right.  For instance Octave is in *several* tasks of Debian Science and
we also are mentioning it in med-physics (and it is also somewhere in
Debian Edu).  Please always keep in mind:  Tasks are by no means
exclusive categories but they should just mention dependencies a user in
a certain workfield would expect.

> exafs type of experiment
> saxs experiments
> coherent diffraction
> etc...
>
> then their is plenty of software use for the data analysis, image analysis, nano materials software etc...
>
> TODO ESRF:
> could you provide a list of all software that need to be package from your point of view on your beamlines and also the machine
> this way I should use thoses information to populate the PAN blends and I should propose a meta package organisation.
>
> > to the relevant tasks file - this should fetch all relevant information
> > and puts the data accordingly onto the web sentinel page.  From my
> > perspective the work I planed to do on this package is done.  I'll stay
> > idle until I hear more from you.
>
> thanks for this preliminary work, now the packaging effort should continue at the ESRF :)
> do you think that we should coordinate with the ESRF guyes (also girls ;) about this effort on the debian-science mailing list. (it is also good for statistics ;)

I would really prefer communicaion via list.  At some point in time it
could be that ESRF / PAN specific traffic mighth increase to a level
which rectifies its own specific list but we are not yet there.

> but this implie that peoples of ESRF should subscribe to this mailing list. They should also obtain some packaging tips from us.

Yes, I would really welcome this.

> or is it better to create our own mailing list.

It depends from the traffic - I have no idea how verbose this community
might become.  A debian-pan list fitting the Debian PAN Blend would make
sense.

> I prefer to work on the debian-science list as we do not know if other peoples of the debian-science mailing list should not be interested in a few packages used at the ESRF.

Fine for me.

> > Kind regards and many thanks for the invitation to ESRF (specifically
> > also the interesting visit) - it was a big pleasure to me
>
> same for me

:-)