Re: Slicot in Debian

Hi Lukas,

Lukas Reichlin <lukas.reichlin.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm the author of the Octave control package and came across this
> thread coincidentally. I'm a bit worried about the future of my work
> if Slicot should go nonfree. I propose to join our efforts and create
> a free fork of Slicot 5.0 if the need should arise.

I exchanged private emails with the Slicot developers and indeed they
confirmed that future releases of Slicot will be under a nonfree license
(my understanding is that academic usage will not be restricted but
commercial usage will be forbidden unless one buys a commercial
license).

Creating a fork would be the ideal solution (and actually the only
sustainable one on the long term, at least for bugfixes). I don't know
if we will have enough resources, but the Arpack example is indeed an
encouraging example.

Also note I intend to create the Debian Slicot package at some point
after the Debian Wheezy freeze.

Best,

--
Sébastien Villemot
Researcher in Economics & Debian Maintainer