Re: Two astronomy-related RFSes up for sponsoring (since 2 months)

Hi Thibaut,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58:26AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> I have sent these two RFS a little bit more than two months ago. I have
> put a lot of effort into them (for instance I've worked with upstream to
> fix bugs in yp-svipc and port it to Python 3) and I'd be sorry if they
> missed Wheezy for lack of a sponsor.

I'm afraid that these packages will not make it any more into Wheezy
because the new queue will not be processed until the Freeze date - at
least this is the information I have.  But finally you did not really
wasted your time - Debian development is not really a discrete step from
release to release but a continuous flow.

I might try to give some suggestions how teamwork and sponsorship might
be enhanced to reduce the level of frustration of committers like you
but this is for another mail.

> yp-svipc: System V InterProcess Communication
> ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/668841
> RFS: http://bugs.debian.org/669209
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/yp-svipc
>
> This package builds plug-ins for the Python and Yorick interpreter to
> expose the SysV IPC to interpreted code. This permits building parallel
> codes and sharing memory segments between processes.
>
> The Yorick plug-in can be used by [YAO], an adaptive optics simulator,
> to make faster computations thanks to parallelisation. The combination
> of the two plug-ins allows building mixed Python/Yorick applications.
> [YAO] http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/yorick-yao

I uploaded this package to the new queue because I think it is OK.

The only issue I have that as always I wonder why the package is not yet
mentioned in the astronomy(-dev ??) task of Debian Science.  Could you
please suggest reasonable task(s) for the binary packages of this source
package?

> gyoto: General relativistic geodesic integration and ray-tracing
> ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/640809
> RFS: http://bugs.debian.org/669016
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/gyoto
>
> Gyoto allows computing trajectories (e.g. of stars) and ray-tracing
> images in the vicinity of compact objects such as black holes. It is
> usable as a C++ library, a stand-alone utility executable, and a Yorick
> plug-in.

I added to the package a debian/upstream file featuring citation
information when I have seen flashing a hint about a publication when
watching at the build log.  As a general note: Please do upstream and
your users a favour and add citation information if there are scientific
publications about packages available.  It really helps strengthening
Debian inside the scientific community.

Moreover I do see some room for enhancement for this package.  I wonder
whether you have some reason to stick to debhelper 7 for this package
(may be some backporting plan might rectify this).  However, even dh 7
knows short debhelper notation which makes team maintenance way more
easy.  Would you consider changing this?  I would not insist on this as
a condition for sponsering but I'd really recommend it.

What I really like you to do is to remove the dh-make template (except
if Joey Hess and Craig Small did really worked on this very package
;-).)

I decided to add gyoto to the astronomy task - please confirm that this is
all what should be added or whether possibly libgyoto0-dev would be a
good thing for astronomy-dev (or whatever)

> I'd be really, really grateful if someone from the community would have
> a look.

Hope this helps you a bit while I'm on Debian Science meeting in Grenoble. :-)