Re: RFS: pythia8/8.1.65-1 [ITP]

Hello Sylvestre,

On 12:15 Fri 06/01/12 Jun     , Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> I am not sure you should name the package source pythia8
>
> Once version 9 is released, it will loose it sense. I pushed the
> change, feel free to revert it if you do not agree.

Thank you for comment.

There are two branches of PYTHIA under active development at the
moment, 6.4 (implemented by Fortran 77) and 8.1 (C++), and the major
version numbers are very stable. The first version of the 8 series,
8.1.00, was released about 5 years ago in 2007, but the latest
version, 8.1.65, is not yet ready to take over for all tasks supported
by PYTHIA 6, which still has a lot of users in high energy physics
community (it cannot be distributed in Debian due to license issue so
I provide packaging stuff in git repo [1]). If a new major release
comes out, say PYTHIA 9, I think it will not depress PYTHIA 8 in a
short time, and we have to provide two verions of PYTHIA.

> Next time, please advice that your ITP requieres packages in NEW to be built.
>
> Here hepmc

ok, sorry for inconvenient.

[1] git://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/pythia6.git

Regards,
Lifeng